1. Home
  2. Administrative Services Bureau
  3. Grants
  4. Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA)

Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA)

What is FMA?

The Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant makes federal funds available to help reduce the risk of repeated flood damage to structures insured under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The FMA recognizes that climate change will continue to intensify flood hazards and that there is a clear need for flood mitigation activities that promote climate adaption and resilience. These hazards include both extreme weather events and chronic stressors, which have been observed and are expected to increase in the future. Please direct any questions regarding FMA eligibility in New Mexico to the DHSEM Mitigation Unit at DHSEM.Mitigation@state.nm.us 

HMA Funding Announcement Webinar August 18, 2022

What Can I Do With This Grant?

The following are some of the project types that are eligible for award under FMA. Please direct any questions regarding FMA eligibility to the DHSEM Mitigation Unit at DHSEM.Mitigation@state.nm.us.

  • Localized flood control
  • Floodwater storage and diversion
  • Floodplain and stream restoration
  • Stormwater management
  • Wetland restoration/creation

Check out FEMA’s website for more information here.

Who Can Apply?

Applications are submitted to the DHSEM Mitigation Unit, which administers the FMA grant funds awarded by FEMA. Eligible subrecipients include state agencies and federally recognized tribal governments, as well as local governments, cities, townships, counties, and special district governments that participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). To be eligible, subrecipients cannot be withdrawn, on probation, or suspended from the NFIP. Eligible sub-applicants may apply for funding on behalf of individuals, businesses, and non-profits.

If submitting a project application, a FEMA-approved hazard mitigation plan is required by the application deadline and at the time of award (44 CFR 201). Structures identified in the sub-application must have an NFIP policy in effect during the FMA application period and must maintain that policy through the completion of the mitigation activity and the life of the structure.

How much money is available?

Funding amounts can vary by year. Please review the most recent funding announcement for the amount available this funding cycle.

What are the cost-share requirements?

FEMA provides up to 75% of the funds for mitigation projects. The remaining 25% can come from a variety of sources. However, FEMA may contribute additional federal share for projects benefiting properties insured under the National Flood Insurance Program that meet the following definitions:

  • Severe Repetitive Loss – up to 100%
  • Repetitive Loss – up to 90%

Most sub-grants in New Mexico are matched with in-kind time. Staff (if not federally funded) track time spent working on the scope of the project or administering the sub-grant and count their regular salary rate toward the 25% requirement. Cash match, payment from the state, local government, or individuals, is also common. Other sources may include donated resources, such as construction labor, Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) funds from a flood insurance policy, or loans from other government agencies, such as the Small Business Administration.

An additional 5% of the total project cost is available at 100% federal share for management of each sub-grant. Management costs are eligible and reasonable indirect costs, direct administrative costs, and other administrative expenses associated with a mitigation project.